Saturday, April 19, 2014

Taking A Short Ride In The BMW i3


BMW i3 Electric Car


I got the chance to take a ride in the BMW i3 at this past Wednesday’s New York International Auto Show. The EV Pavilion wasn’t much more than a temporary go kart track, with a few Nissan Leafs and BMW i3s. Unfortunately for riders, more coveted vehicles like the Tesla or i8 were not available for ride-a-longs.
When I arrived at the EV Pavilion, the Nissan reps had already left and the BMW guys were finishing up, but agreed to go around one more time. As the previous passengers finished up their run, I had a look over the i3 to get a feel for what I was in for. Clearly the first thing that sticks out is the two-tone paint covering the vehicle’s exterior.
Once the boldness of the burnt orange and black combination soaked in, I noticed the wood panels that flow across the dash board. At first I was unimpressed, but thinking back to all the cracked dashboards I’ve had over the years; it might not be as of a bad decision as I thought.

BMW i3 Interior

When the driver pulled up he waved me over and I got in. The passenger seat seemed comfortable and adequate for my six-foot frame. The driver introduced himself, explained some of the benefits of the electric drivetrain, and took off. He gave it some “gas” as we entered the straightaway, mentioning the 0-60 time of 7 seconds.
As we neared the next turn, he demonstrated how the i3’s braking system automatically slowed the vehicle when the driver’s foot comes off the pedal. As he took a few more laps, I asked about how the vehicle handles at higher speeds when letting off of the accelerator. He claimed that during his highway trips in California, the car would gradually slow down, eliminating the ability to coast.
As I exited the vehicle I gave it one last look over and closed the door, releasing that the smoker’s windows in the front doors, like the back windows, do not open. Overall, it’s an interesting option for those in the market for a fuel efficient hatchback, but it’s a bit too progressive for me. The wood dash and burnt orange are a bit much in my opinion, but other color combinations will be available upon release.

BMW i3 Silver Black

The ability to coast may be a missed option when you get an itch on your right leg, but cruise control would offer relief from touching the pedal at all. Beyond these aesthetic distastes and non-coasting nuisance, the BMW i3 is a comfortable, well thought-out electric car that adds one more choice in the world of eco-friendly rides.



Source: Gas 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment