Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Volt versus Prius



Slide1

 















Some readers may know that we have both a 2012 Volt and a 2008 Toyota Prius. The original plan was to sell the Prius and replace it with the Volt. However, wife refused to give up her Prius so, initially, Volt purchase was put off. Time passed and I decided to get the Volt anyway which works out well because I now have a clean, uncluttered car to use whenever I want. His and her cars are the way to go.

Driving Cycle and Fuel Efficiency

 
My driving cycle is longer than most. I do not fit the typical less-than-40-mile-per-day profile that the Volt was designed around.
November to April we commute from our desert house in Tonto Basin, Ariz. to Payson, Ariz. which is a 68-mile round trip. Payson’s elevation is 5,000 feet so there is a 2,500 foot climb with some 5 percent grades. I have been running this trip in Mountain Mode lately as it allows me to save some pure EV for in-town driving. I just ran this trip yesterday and with our wonderful spring weather I averaged 102 mpg.
Also throw in a couple trips to Phoenix per month which are usually around 150 miles or more total.
May through November we commute from our mountain home in Pine, Ariz to Payson, Ariz. This trip is 38 miles total and is perfect for the Volt. It is very rare that the range extender comes on during this journey so I turn in some pretty impressive mpg numbers in the summer.
Which car do I choose for these routes? The Volt of course for trips between Pine and Payson and between Tonto Basin and Payson … but what about trips to Phoenix? The answer is the Prius. Why: less fuel burn for this route.
Overall mpg comparison is as follows: Lifetime mpg on Volt is 160; lifetime mpg on Prius is 50.

Ride Quality and Handling

 
Comparing the Volt to the Prius in this department is really like comparing a BMW to a Citroen 2CV. In other words, there is no comparison. The Volt handles flat, hugs the road, has great acceleration, and it’s quiet while the Prius goes around corners more like a ’60 Volvo PV544 (we had one) and has an annoying engine sound.
One comparison I like is to open and close the door on the Prius and then compare it to the Volt. The Prius has a rather cheap, tinny sound while the Volt is solid like a Cadillac.
On the flip side, the Prius seat is higher off the floor and for an (almost) old person like myself it has a more upright seating position which is more comfortable on long trips … thus one more reason why the Prius is selected on trips to Phoenix.

Maintenance

 
I don’t do my own maintenance anymore except for changing oil … and that reminds me it is time for the Prius to have its yearly oil change (Yuck). Volt: two years between oil changes so maybe next year.
The Volt has been a very reliable car so far. Since I brought the car home last May it has never had to go to the dealer. That’s pretty good. Usually there will be some minor bug that needs to be fixed on a new car.
Slide2
 

Solar Charging

 
This is the part I love. Not only do I not use much gas in the Volt I also get to charge it with FREE electricity from my solar panels (ha ha). My system consists of 14, 210 watt Sanyo HIP panels backed up with Enphase micro inverters (one per panel). This system works great here in Arizona with all our sun. The other nice thing about this system is that during the summer when I am in Pine, my panels just crank out kwh’s into my account at Arizona Public Service. When I return in the fall I have enough kwh’s stored to last me through January.

So Which Car Wins?

 
The Volt of course. However the Prius really is a very cost effective and energy efficient machine and it is favored on longer trips due to its lower fuel consumption and because its seating position is more upright.


Source: GM-Volt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment