Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lyle Dennis Hands Over Reins Of GM-Volt.com


There is one thing that can always be said about life, change is constant.

I remember very well that day just over four years ago when I first read about the Chevy Volt concept, in a top-voted story on Digg.

The concept of a full-featured American car that could be powered almost all the time on electricity both captivated and inspired me. I had long dreamed of moving our country off of oil, and this seemed a great way to begin.

Using my well-heeled Internet experience, I immediately launched GM-Volt.com as a blog in which I would follow the developments of the car and hopefully help compel GM to build it.

I had no way of knowing at the time that the car would ever be built, that it would become so important to GM and the country, nor that the resulting product would be so utterly masterful and wildly popular. I didn’t know either that GM’s communications machine would fuel the news media with a constant stream of Volt news either.

All these things came true, and GM-Volt.com grew remarkably popular for a blog about such a specific subject.

In a labor of love I have churned out over 1600 Volt-related articles, have test driven many versions of the car, met all the members of GM exectuive staff, and have attended a dozen or more GM sponsored events both in Detroit and elsewhere over these years. I essentially never missed a day of posting including weekends, holidays, and vacations. These sacrifices built a great community but did take time from my life and family.

Since December more than a thousand real people in our country have begun taking their Volts home and our early dream has become a reality. Many of these owners are signing up and posting at a rapid rate on our GM-Volt Owners forum and it is a beautiful thing to see.

The time has come to move GM-Volt.com to the next level and to allow me to return to my normal life.

The site has been acquired by VerticalScope, a large-scale company that owns and operates hundreds of the top automotive forums on the Internet including Autoguide.com and GMinsidenews.com.

In the hands of these industry leaders GM-Volt will be able to grow and thrive well beyond the hobbyist effort of this neurologist and family man.

Though I won’t be writing the daily blogs anymore, I will still be here just like you, as a member of the Volt community.

I am very proud of what GM-Volt.com has accomplished and I am very optimistic about its future.

Thank you for all of your support.


Source: GM-Volt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment