Friday, August 28, 2015

Automakers Put Billions Into “Connectivity” Tech No One Cares About

Okay, “no one” is a little strong, but the point is the same: automakers are investing billions of dollars into “connectivity” tech that people aren’t using. I can’t say I’m surprised. Aside from the Tesla Model S, I typically haven’t been impressed with the “connectivity” features I’ve found in cars — from Mercedes to BMW to Audi. And it’s stuff I just don’t see myself using. I’d rather pop onto my iPad Mini at a red light or in the parking lot than mess with that stuff.
connected carThe recent J.D. Power 2015 Driver Interactive Vehicle Experience (DrIVE) Report took a look at owner use of such features in the first 90 days of ownership, and it found a lot of “never used” responses. “The report finds that at least 20 percent of new-vehicle owners have never used 16 of the 33 technology features measured. The five features owners most commonly report that they ‘never use’ are in-vehicle concierge (43%); mobile routers (38%); automatic parking systems (35%); head-up display (33%); and built-in apps (32%),” a press release about the report noted.
“There are 14 technology features that 20 percent or more of owners do not want in their next vehicle, including Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto, in-vehicle concierge services and in-vehicle voice texting. Among Gen Y, the number of features unwanted by at least 20 percent of owners increases to 23, specifically technologies related to entertainment and connectivity systems.”
While the report and press release emphasize how little people care about these features, or evendon’t want them, I think it’s worth pointing out that the majority of new owners do indeed use these. How much they use them? I’m not so sure. I’d typically poke around and try things one or two times, but then probably ignore most of them. The bottom line is, a much more robust and familiar tablet or smartphone is a better option for most of us.
A J.D. Power exec echoes that (well, technically, she said it first): “In many cases, owners simply prefer to use their smartphone or tablet because it meets their needs; they’re familiar with the device and it’s accurate,” said Kristin Kolodge, executive director of driver interaction & HMI research at J.D. Power. But she also highlights that this isn’t just a “meh” issue — it’s a huge waste of money and opportunity. “In-vehicle connectivity technology that’s not used results in millions of dollars of lost value for both consumers and the manufacturers.”
Seriously. Improve my car. Make it more comfy. Give me more space. Give me a bigger battery (assuming it’s electric, of course). Make it safer. Do something better than pour money into “infotainment” I couldn’t care less about.
Useful in-vehicle tech for me: autopark, autosteer, automatic lane change, blind-spot warning, active cruise controlTetris… hmm, I’m not sure what else.
Anyhow, for less rambling from me and more info from the actual report, check out the press release.
Image via Shutterstock


No comments:

Post a Comment