Friday, June 5, 2015

“This Old House” Installs An EV Charger

Growing up the son of a contractor, there were two constants in my life; a never-ending series of home improvement projects, and watching reruns of “This Old House”. While Bob Vila hasn’t produced a new episode of “This Old House” in over 25 years, the show is still going strong online, where it has adapted to questions of modern convenience, like how to install a home EV charger.
You can check out the teaser above, though you have to go to the This Old House website to watch the entire episode. While I don’t doubt that many homeowners simply opt to pay a professional to install their home EV charger, a person with minimal electrical experience should find it a fairly straightforward process. Then again, I may be taking for granted the fact that I’ve been doing all sorts of home improvement-type work with my father for nearly 20 years (I was put to work at the tender age of 10, child labor laws be damned).
Doing the work yourself saves about $500 or so in labor cost, which buys a whole lotta electricity. With Level 2 chargers coming down dramatically in price and available for as little as $450 straight from the manufacturer, EV charging stations are bound to become a growing selling point for new homes. States like California are even mandating that all new homes must be “EV ready” and capable of accepting at least a Level 2 charger.
Once I get my first plug-in car though, I’ll be DIY-ing the install, now that I’ve seen just how straight-forward the whole install really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment