Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lyle Dennis Receives His Chevrolet Volt Test Vehicle







Lyle Dennis' Chevy Volt Test Vehicle











From GM-Volt.com:

Three years and ten months have passed since I first learned of GM’s Chevy Volt concept. Relentlessly and rigorously I have followed the path that concept has taken from that early revelation all the way to this very most crucial, almost historic day.

I have been gifted with a large group of you dedicated readers whose interesting comments and discussion have kept me going all this time, and together we have dreamed of driving without the use of gasoline.

The hour of reckoning has finally dawned upon us. Last night around 5 PM Eastern time I picked up my Chevy Volt captured fleet test car and drove it home to my garage.

As many here know, I was chosen to participate in a 90 day test drive experience living with a production model Chevy Volt. That time has now just begun.

I along with 14 other people in New York, Washington DC, and California, as part of the Volt consumer advisory board (CAB,) have begun picking up our cars this week. They are identical fully-loaded Viridian Joule models.

Though I’ve driven a Volt on several occasions including a 199 mile extended test drive, nothing can compare to bringing this beautiful prize home and plugging it into the official Voltec charger that had been installed in my garage.

I almost cannot put into words how unbelievably ecstatic I am to have this chance. It is almost surreal considering how long I’ve been blogging about this car to actually have one in my possession.

I only hope it was your and my effort here that helped push GM to build this car and to demonstrate to all the automakers the strong and widespread demand for EVs that exists in this country. For now not only is there a Volt in my driveway but many more tens of thousands of them and other electric cars shall make their way onto public roads over the coming months and years.

This is all great great news indeed.

I do wish you all could have this chance I have been afforded, and though that is not possible you can share the experience with me as I report here day by day, and one day you too may take home your own Volt.

When I took possession of the car it had 1214 miles on the odometer, accrued as engineers performed extensive validation tests before GM allowed us first members of the public to take the cars home. It was only charged up to 13 miles of EV range, and the gas tank readout showed there was 244 miles of gas range on-board. I had a 23.7 mile trip from GM’s facility in Ardsley, NY back to my home in Rockland county.

The ride was phenomenal, emotional, and filled with pride.

The engine switched over at 11.6 miles, and by the end of the 23.7 miles my average fuel economy read 74.3 mpg. I could hear the engine most of the time in generator mode, but it wasn’t bothersome. Also if I kept my speed less than 30 mpg, the car stayed in EV mode even after CS mode began (no engine). The pure electric drive and power, and handling and braking, were expectedly delightful.

The car is packed with loads of incredible high-tech features, and I’m like a kid on Christmas morning with lots of pleasant work to do figuring and configuring it all out. Also it is the first time I’ve seen the car’s interior at night, and marveled at how the center stack shines with a futuristic blue backlight…very, very nice.

I finally have the 2011 Chevrolet Volt Owner’s Manual (draft) in my hand which I will study, and my first task is to get the MyVolt.com/OnStar/iPhone app system configured.

The charger is working beautifully, it has the car give a little chirp when charging commences and a green light on the dash lights up.

Today I am taking the car to work, 26 miles away, this time with a full battery, and will plug in at 120-v at my office parking spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment